A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
It that must no... It that must not be named's picture
A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

http://rpg.geekdo.com/article/4677058#4677058

Be sure to give the reviewer a tip if you like the review.

"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." -Jesse "the mind" Ventura.

Bloodwork Bloodwork's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

I'll be sure to note any spelling and grammar mistakes for the second printing of the review.

That which doesn't kill you usually succeeds on the second attempt.

It that must no... It that must not be named's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

Also be sure to note who bothered to do a review at all...

"I learned the hard way that if you take a stand on any issue, no matter how insignificant, people will line up around the block to kick your ass over it." -Jesse "the mind" Ventura.

nick012000 nick012000's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

Just got this. A few comments on the adventure:
1. It has no advice for how to handle it if the PCs nanofabricate or otherwise acquire a single-shot missile launcher loaded with a Splash warhead loaded with a Protean nanoswarm designed to make more Protean nanoswarms, and decide to sit back on their ship and watch as the Song Cai Flower and everything and everyone on board is consumed by the Grey Goo the PCs just unleashed. Said rocket launchers are only [Moderate]; they're not exactly difficult to make. Or to start off with. Basically, any adventure in Eclipse Phase that isn't time-critical and has the villians in an isolated location should account for the possibility of the PCs deciding to "nuke them from orbit; it's the only way to be sure".
2. There's a full-blown TITAN in the adventure, with no advice on how it might react upon being reactivated, if the PCs are dumb enough to do so. Basically, it's just a McGuffin, rather than a character in its own right like it should be.

+1 r-Rep , +1 @-rep

eMouse eMouse's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

I haven't read through the whole adventure yet, but isn't the whole purpose of the mission to find an agent with unique data gained since their last backup?

Wouldn't what you suggest in #1 necessarily mean that the PCs are going to fail that mission quite deliberately and spectacularly?

Decivre Decivre's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

nick012000 wrote:
Just got this. A few comments on the adventure:

1. It has no advice for how to handle it if the PCs nanofabricate or otherwise acquire a single-shot missile launcher loaded with a Splash warhead loaded with a Protean nanoswarm designed to make more Protean nanoswarms, and decide to sit back on their ship and watch as the Song Cai Flower and everything and everyone on board is consumed by the Grey Goo the PCs just unleashed. Said rocket launchers are only [Moderate]; they're not exactly difficult to make. Or to start off with. Basically, any adventure in Eclipse Phase that isn't time-critical and has the villians in an isolated location should account for the possibility of the PCs deciding to "nuke them from orbit; it's the only way to be sure".

2. There's a full-blown TITAN in the adventure, with no advice on how it might react upon being reactivated, if the PCs are dumb enough to do so. Basically, it's just a McGuffin, rather than a character in its own right like it should be.

  1. Actually, they have advice for that in the core book, which basically goes: you are a sentinel, your job is to be unobtrusive. If the task is too big and complete annihilation is the only option, then call on an Erasure squad. Annihilating stations and ships is not your job.
  2. These are fragments from the original TITAN satellite. The TITAN itself is long gone, likely having moved to a more technologically efficient body a long time ago.

Transhumans will one day be the Luddites of the posthuman age.

Help me get my gaming fix, if you want.

jackgraham jackgraham's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

Decivre wrote:
  1. Actually, they have advice for that in the core book, which basically goes: you are a sentinel, your job is to be unobtrusive. If the task is too big and complete annihilation is the only option, then call on an Erasure squad. Annihilating stations and ships is not your job.
  2. These are fragments from the original TITAN satellite. The TITAN itself is long gone, likely having moved to a more technologically efficient body a long time ago.

Well that post saved me some explainin'. :)

eMouse's comment regarding the purpose of the mission also holds. As evidenced in the QSR, Firewall can be very heavy-handed with their containment protocols. But PCs are supposed to investigate stuff -before- rocks fall from the sky.

If your PCs really insist on doing something like this, equip the station with some type of aggressive after market anti-nanowarfare system. The Khanhs did equip the thing by running off with a trove of milspec gear, after all.

J A C K   G R A H A M :: Hooray for Earth!
  http://eclipsephase.com :: twitter @jackgraham @faketsr :: Google+Jack Graham

Decivre Decivre's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

jackgraham wrote:
Well that post saved me some explainin'. :)

eMouse's comment regarding the purpose of the mission also holds. As evidenced in the QSR, Firewall can be very heavy-handed with their containment protocols. But PCs are supposed to investigate stuff -before- rocks fall from the sky.

If your PCs really insist on doing something like this, equip the station with some type of aggressive after market anti-nanowarfare system. The Khanhs did equip the thing by running off with a trove of milspec gear, after all.

No problem, I used to have the same questions asked when I GMed for Shadowrun:

"Hey, if we're supposed to break into a Megacorp to steal information for a rival, why don't we just use maximum firepower to get through the front door."
"You guys were hired by a Megacorp, you know that, right? If they really wanted a front-door entrance, don't you think they could have done that themselves with more resources, men and firepower? Did you ever think that the guys you are going against might also have more resources, men and firepower?"
"Huh, good point. Guess we'll have to find a more subtle way then."
"That little dose of logic costed you one edge, by the way."
"WHAT?!!"

Transhumans will one day be the Luddites of the posthuman age.

Help me get my gaming fix, if you want.

Sepherim Sepherim's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

I liked Glory. Maybe a bit straightforward, but not all stories need thousands of twists and turns to be fun and enjoyable. It was a great work in my opinion. And the artwork was excellent too. :)

The mind is information... hack it!
+4
http://tribulaciones.es/

Dredj Dredj's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

So, what exactly is in the GM Screen besides the adventure? Are there weapons lists?

AdamJury AdamJury's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

The Gamemaster's pack is the GM Screen and Glory.

jackgraham jackgraham's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

The screen is four panels of tables the GM may find useful while running the game, like most GM screen products. Yeah, I believe it includes weapon & armor tables.

The booklet inside is just the module.

J A C K   G R A H A M :: Hooray for Earth!
  http://eclipsephase.com :: twitter @jackgraham @faketsr :: Google+Jack Graham

Dredj Dredj's picture
Re: A review of the EP GM pack on rpggeek

Well, I downloaded the GM Screen. I hate to say that I was a little disappointed in the fact that there were no damage stats for weapons that are normally found in the EP universe. Only range modifiers.

Will there be any supplements detailing weapons coming out soon?