How would you feel about neotenics IRL?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheBurn TheBurn's picture
How would you feel about neotenics IRL?

Sorry if I used the wrong forum category, I'm new here.

Whether or not transhumanism will happen in reality is a different discussion. Whether or not neotenics will become mainstream enough for this question to be relevant is a different discussion. Whether or not the neotenics will be legalized is a different discussion.

What I'm asking is this: how would YOU feel about neotenics. Would you rally to their defense? Would you lynch them on the street? Would anyone ever catch you speaking to one? Would you honestly treat them any differently?

Picture of Fire taken under CC0 license. (That's the correct syntax, right?)

Laskeutua Laskeutua's picture
I'd sleeve in one - because

I'd sleeve in one - because why not?

But then, I'd probably be that guy who'd sleeve in everything he could get his hands on just to see what it's like.

Xagroth Xagroth's picture
The neotenics were a relevant

The neotenics were a relevant sleeve at the beginning, because of their design being focused on low resource needings. The twist into sex spectacle? kinda... actual.

I mean, we can be sure that there is porn of ALL and more sleeves in EP. But only neotenics get the hairy eye, in a society where children are common only in mars, the Jovian republic and maybe Venus and the Moon... so...

Personally, I don't really care. I'm more of a Galatea/Masked Synth.

ORCACommander ORCACommander's picture
I am among similar line as

I am among similar line as Lask. I would be willing to try almost anything at least once. as for societal interaction, we would need damn good safeguards for us to know when we are dealing with a neotenic and a genuine child

Laskeutua Laskeutua's picture
ORCACommander wrote:I am

ORCACommander wrote:
I am among similar line as Lask. I would be willing to try almost anything at least once. as for societal interaction, we would need damn good safeguards for us to know when we are dealing with a neotenic and a genuine child

AR ID tags is what I used last time I ran an EP campaign.

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
Live, let live.

Live, let live.

I think that is a good philosophy to live by. At least, most of the time. Basically, you live your life and you let them live theirs. You have your own problems and they have theirs. Harassing someone consumes your time and theirs, time that could have been better used making the world better.

I think at its very core, it is a philosophy that says people have the right to live, the right to exist.

So on that note, I would let Neotonics be. Maybe I'll have a conversation with some to get to know them better. Maybe I'll sleeve into one for a little bit. This may depend on how much I expect to encounter them. How important is it to me to know more about them?

DivineWrath DivineWrath's picture
To put it another way, "Live,

To put it another way, "Live, Let Live" is a fundamental rule in a society. Its not good for a society to be at war with itself. Having each other's back, ability to trust one another, the ability to be fair to each other is what allows society to prosper. It allows one to devote more time to their craft and to specialize, instead of having to devote time to protect oneself.

Purplejack2020 Purplejack2020's picture
I'd see it as a voluntary "little person"

I've had a couple friends who had dwarfism and others who were just naturally short to the point of being in their 30s and still mistaken for young teenagers but from their own experiences they've only had a few awkward encounters.
Personally I don't really see this as any different except of course for it being (like I said) voluntary.
Now if they were creepy about it? No but then that's just a matter of character.

In one of the countless billions of galaxies in the universe, lies a medium-sized star, and one of its satellites, a green and insignificant planet, is now dead.

Adison Adison's picture
Difficult.

It's actually particularly hard for humans who are brought up with the concept that "Children are a nono thing!" when it comes to a lot of stuff. However, in the future it would only be somewhat difficult to tell the difference between children or adults within neotenic bio-morphs. However, this is where the IDs come in handy. If the individual within the bio-morph is an of an 'adult age' as an Ego, then what can you say? This obviously wouldn't apply to AIs and uplifts either, since their age issues are not similar in the slightest.

It's generally the idea that children aren't emotionally capable of dealing with it, aren't capable of making informed choices, and are very often taken advantage off that causes it to be such a serious taboo. Remove all the mental capacity issues that comes with being a child, and you remove most of what exists as a problem.

The only other one that exists in the physical capabilities, which are nullified by the fact that the body can be engineered to bypass those difficulties. It would simply be keeping an eyeball on who is and isn't really a child. I'm sure there will always be a social stigma about it with groups of individuals, but at the same time.. there's so many insane things that'll be going on, I doubt it would be stigmatized by everyone forever.

Xagroth Xagroth's picture
Adison wrote:

Adison wrote:

It's generally the idea that children aren't emotionally capable of dealing with it, aren't capable of making informed choices, and are very often taken advantage off that causes it to be such a serious taboo. Remove all the mental capacity issues that comes with being a child, and you remove most of what exists as a problem.

I'd say that the issue is less about "mental capacity" (as I understand it, you are referring to somethin akin to "computing power", or more broadly "brain % development" and maybe even "crash hormonal attack"), and more about being "travelled" (experienced in life, not easy to be lied to, etc...); in theory, and barring a hack, a child's Muse should be there to avoid this kind of situations (and a child can't guilt a muse into letting him do whatever (s)he wants, nor to hide behind that voice in the head).

Incidentally, with the amount of pods, cyberbrains, and prostitution that can be find... well, I'd doubt actual children need to be involved at all, so I supposed the title is more about "loli" looking partners?

Heck, so many stuff goes down in flames with EP's setting... XD

Adison Adison's picture
Kinda, sorta, yeah. It's

Kinda, sorta, yeah. It's about mental development in general. There are children who develop faster and some slower. I've seen a 12 year old with a better understanding of relationships than a 40 year old because of the way they were raised and educated about everything correctly. Some countries have fewer issues than others because children aren't kept in the dark about adult processes and left to be victimized by the people around them. It's shocking how it can change things. The muse can help too, of course. IDs help as well, you can even use a monitor module and other such devices.

But yeah, I don't see it being an issue really. Since people can easily slot into almost any morph... And a lot of people might even have their preferred sleeve sitting around for their prostitute to slot into (or themselves.) during the fun times.

Xagroth Xagroth's picture
Adison wrote: Since people

Adison wrote:
Since people can easily slot into almost any morph... And a lot of people might even have their preferred sleeve sitting around for their prostitute to slot into (or themselves.) during the fun times.

Or their muse... yeah, in the Glory adventure an NPC had sleeved a fork of his muse into a body to... enjoy her company.

Also, legally the Lost Generation is made of egos that are less than 10 years old in real time (they were raised in accelerated simulspace, so they would be older).

And I just remembered there is a Vore-addict ego described in Gatecrashing. As in, it enjoys being eaten by a T-Rex morph or something like that... (let's remember Takeshi Kovacs' book #1, where some rich people enjoyed snuff applied to "willing" prostitutes).

The mind is the limit... -.-U

Adison Adison's picture
Indeed!

Indeed!